Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dishwashers.




This is a real dishwasher.

I imagine that the excuse most people use for owning an electric dishwasher is that it saves them time doing dishes. Of course the majority of America spends an inexcusable amount of time before the flashing shrine we call the television. I suppose if my sanity/reason-for-life-itself were tied up in a group of fictitious hospital operatives with names like McSteamy I'd be pretty intent on freeing up my evenings of any 'lesser' chores or activities. In my opinion I am fortunate to live with a wife who abhors the television and as a result we decided not to have one anywhere in our home. Not so much by choice but incidence a dishwasher is something we've also never had in our home. I'm not saying that dishwashing is the key to heaven, or even a key to Zion, but I would ask anyone and everyone to evaluate just how useful you're making that 'extra' time that a dishwasher saves you.
For my part I would not trade my time spent washing dishes by hand for anything. For one there is a certain satisfaction and even joy that comes from being personally involved in the cleaning of ones home. I don't like to have dishes piled high on the counter (as a matter of fact there is a mountain out there right now), but I do like to know when they're finished, and to have that bit of refreshment that comes from being physically active--even in such a small way. Beyond that, and perhaps becoming more important, I treasure the time it gives us to work together as a family on the presentation and cleanliness of our home. My son Nolan loves to do dishes with us. I can't say I always love the job he does . . . but I've broken a few dishes in my day too, so I can't complain too much. Oh, and he also drenches himself, the floor, the chair he stands on to reach the sink, and anyone in the vicinity. He's learning to work though, and to enjoy working. He's also enjoying time spent with me, his dad (or his mom, whoever got the poncho on first). We talk a little bit, laugh, joke around, and just genuinely enjoy one another's company. I'm anxious for Gerret to be big enough to help out. I'm sure that if we someday have a dishwasher I will still find excuses to spend time with my kids, or my wife. But I hope that it is time spent teaching things like the value of hard work. The key to a full, long life, after all is hard work.
So I've never used a dishwasher, and don't plan on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment